Skip to main content

Monster Hunter: A Slight Obsession


Prologue

    Do you ever watch a thing that stirs something inside you? Well I just did, and seeing someone be so creative at such a young age has given me pause to reflect on my own creativity. I originally started this blog just over 10 years ago. Nothing too special happened with it. I didn't secretly become famous or go viral. It stands now as a time capsule, a moment in my history where I thought I had something to say about the world I was living in. I was so naive. I still am.

    Different experiences in my life have chipped away at the bubble we are sometimes raised in. I've come from a pretty stable home, with parents that love me and a brother I still get along with. While some few might not think of my life as ideal, I am certainly more fortunate than most. Everyone's lives are different and every person on this Earth is of worth. The decisions we make matter. The consequences of those choices matter. Not all choice is equal. I spent (literally) 1000's of hours of my life on the video game you're going to read about. I'm writing about it, in the hope that I can justify those hours. Will I be successful? That's for you to decide.

How I came to play Monster Hunter

    I love the Monster Hunter games. I've been playing them since the first game debuted on the PS2 in 2005. It had the wackiest control scheme ever and I had no idea how to play, but the premise had me absolutely hooked. Hunt big monsters. Carve them up. Turn them into weapons and wear them as armour. Then hunt bigger monsters. Rinse and repeat. Reading the instruction booklet reinforced my excitement. Playing the game, I soon found out that, 'the book is usually better'. I found fighting even the most basic monsters terrifying and frustrating. As I had rented the game from my local video store, I had to return it before I could get my head around its seemingly complicated systems. Dejected, I didn't feel the need to rent it again. Something inside me said I just wasn't ready for it. Yet.

image via mobygames.com

    It wasn't until I learned it was being re-released onto the PSP a year later (with an updated control scheme) that I felt that I was being given that second chance. I can't remember if I bought the PSP to get the game or if it was just a happy coincidence, but Monster Hunter Freedom completely justified the purchase of what felt like a niche handheld. I guess enough had happened in my life to prepare me for what I hadn't been able to grasp before (the controls).

    One thing that helped was a tempering of my expectations. Of myself and of the game. I properly went through the tutorials as now I didn't feel rushed by some arbitrary rental return date. I could give the game the time it needed and it opened up to me. Sonic bombs pull those pesky sand-swimming Cephalos out of the dunes. The ears of a Yian Kut-Ku lower when close to death. Sharpening weapons should be done in a quiet moment or place. Always bring a bug-net and pickaxe. Keep stamina at max with a well done steak. All these little rules for enjoying the game became apparent and by playing along I was able to properly enjoy the game. Now all I needed were some friends.

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

    What determines whether something is good? For me, it is when I can't help but share it with other people. I convinced two of my close friends to buy PSPs and their own copies of the game. Neither of them (as far as I know) have regretted it. They are part of the reason I have so many hours in these games. It is incredible fun to play the game on your own, but taking down big bad monsters with friends sitting a few feet from you is something else entirely. I remember spending hours with a friend trying to hunt a Khezu using only bowguns. The laughter we shared as time and time again we were killed by it's very clearly telegraphed lightning ball attack, is something I won't soon forget. I learnt to enjoy the game despite my friends' different play styles and none of those little annoyances (like forgetting to bring an important item) mattered when we still toppled our target monster in the end.

Monster Hunter World

    The rest of this article will now list the many pros of this game alongside examples of similar gaming systems and tropes found in other titles.

Hitting the wall

    Ni No Kuni 2 - I thought I was tricking the game, grinding my levels out and getting stronger than I thought I should be. Then I progressed the story a little bit and opened up a new area. Suddenly everything was 20 levels stronger than me. All my hard work, to me, didn't pay off. So I stopped playing.

    Monster Hunter allows players to either grind up to get stronger or to completely smash through that wall by playing with other Hunters that are way stronger than you.
    "Wouldn't this ruin the game?" I hear you (yes, you) ask.
    "No!" I emphatically reply. Because even if you do that to get 'powerful' gear, you still need to have developed your own skills or else you'll cart (faint/lose/game over) very quickly.


Good games reward the Grind

    Diablo 2 can be so satisfying because randomly generated loot means that even grinding the most beginner of levels can yield something unique. Eventually you realise you need to move on and the weapons and armour you've come to love are tossed aside for something bigger and better.

    Monster Hunter doesn't do this. Your weapons grow with you. Every monster you kill has parts that can be harvested and hoarded. The games (particularly the latter ones) make use in some way of all monster parts and all the herbs and ore you find. If you grind over and over to get even the most basic materials, it will still prove useful in the long run.


Pulling back the curtain

    I've ruined so many games for myself by finding out what the most optimal build is. I would read about the most fantastic weapon set and what it does and suddenly all the fun and mystery of the game is lost.

    Monster Hunter has such an in-depth level of customization that there are many optimal builds, and even then so much is dependent on your play style. What works for one person can be completely useless to another. Even after creating that 'perfect' build, a particular monster might be completely immune to it. So you save that armour set and get to work on a new one, just so you can absolutely decimate that one monster!


YOU DIED

    The Soulsborne series is incredible. It is also incredibly difficult. Losing all progress and only retaining the lessons learned isn't always a fun time. Especially when the lesson is, "Try not to fall off the ledge next time."

    3 strikes and you're out! This system in Monster Hunter is much more forgiving. Knowing that your target is still battered and bruised from the handful of times you managed to land a hit encourages you to go back out and try again. This system also plays well into the multiplayer. If your full squad of four is really reckless, the hunt could be over with one fell swing of a wyvern's tail.


Looking Good

    Destiny 2 has an interesting cosmetic system. But it has been so long since I've played it could already be completely different. But there is something special about sitting in front of your inventory screen for ages coming up with the perfect combo of weapon and armour skins/colours to make you look totally unique. Though most of the game is played in first person so it's mainly for others to enjoy.

    Monster Hunter armour looks siiiiiick. You see a monster and you go dayumn that creature looks cool, I can't wait to wear it! Being able to preview the gear just gets you even more excited to kill that monster 3-5 more times. Mix and matching armour is a little more tricky, and it wouldn't be until later games (and DLC) that you'd be able to layer other armour cosmetically onto your favourite set. Regardless, you can see how much love and effort has been put into making each monsters armour look unique and interesting.


RNG

    Crafting materials can be real tedious sometimes. Realising you have to farm a certain monster or area over and over again with only an unth% chance of getting what you want can be frustrating. Or it can create a whole new gameplay challenge for you! Only been using hammer but need to cut off a tail? Time to look into using a greatsword! Lance keeps bouncing off the shell you need to break? Let's figure out the hunting horn! Everything you could hate about a game like this can turn into a fun new challenge when you play it for long enough.


Knowledge is power

    I touched on this a bit in my intro but mastery of this game comes from your knowledge and understanding of its systems. The game wants you to exploit weakness. Whether its a certain elemental weapon type, a hammer versus a blade or just knowing that a bop to the head does more damage than a smack on the feet, the application of this knowledge can turn a difficult fight into an effortless exhibition of skill. Each monster has their own tells that you'll come to understand through repeated play. The most elite monster hunters out there make a literal living out of showing off just how flawlessly (in groups or by themselves) they can take down the games most challenging foes.




The game is an ecosystem

    Everything in this game feeds back into its premise. You are a monster hunter. Eating food, catching fish, collecting cats like a crazy cat person, forging weapons, armour and decorations, reading info on the last big monster you fought, everything in this game serves the purpose of turning you into a proficient monster hunting machine. The more you engage with all it's systems the more proficient a hunter you will become.

Riding a Bicycle

    The thing I probably love most about Monster Hunter is that it is like riding a bicycle. If I haven't played for months or even years, after making a few wobbly attempts I'm back in the saddle cruising down easy street. I've played so much of this game that it's become part of my muscle memory. So much so that when I start a fresh character, I don't even have to make the same armour sets I made last time. Even the weakest of weapons and armour can become viable and powerful (enough) to those who have the learned skill to use them. The game rewards you when you learn and master how to play it and maximum fun can be had when you know how much you can bend the rules.


Epilogue

    I'm barely even scratching the surface here (I didn't even talk about the EPIC music). There is so much depth and nuance to these games, they've been iterated upon so well with each new installment, you can see how much love and care goes into creating each title. If you are yet to take the plunge, I would suggest starting with Monster Hunter World as it has been created with the broadest audience in mind. There are some key elements that are missing, which is explained most succinctly in this video. After watching that you might be more inclined to try anything but World to which I would then suggest that you get Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch, which is a near-perfect distillation of every Monster Hunter game that came before it.

    Yes even after that prologue where I wondered if I should have spent as much time as I have on a video game, I am still recommending these games. They are that good. But if you don't decide to play them, that's no problem either. Thanks for reading this review (of sorts) anyway.


    This post and really all my posts never seem to turn out the way I plan them. Hopefully what I have been writing has been somewhat entertaining. If you like what I've written here today, let me know in the comments below or like the Facebook post or even better post your own little review in the PEANUTS Facebook group. You can become a member by using the special code word SMOOTH. Thanks again for reading through, your time and support is greatly appreciated.
    
- The Lonesome Peanut


Extra Links
Niche to global phenom - an article on the rise of Monster Hunter
Then VS Now - A funny video for fans of the series

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile Like You Mean It :)

It seems that the written word takes us a lot further than it used to, in fact we may even use it more to communicate than the good ole face to face. This of course has been helped along with technology, SMS, Facebook Chat, Twitter (something I still have no idea about & hope to keep it that way for the rest of my life), MSN... the list goes on... I think. There is only one major flaw in using the written word to communicate: "Reader Interpretation". With so many sentences, conversations and words floating above us in cyberspace these days, how can we, the writers, ensure that our seemingly harmless replies are not turned into a five-year bout of silent treatment? Thank goodness for emoticons!! :D